Monday, November 23, 2009

Another Reason I Love These Boys

Once again The Avett Brothers have shown me a greater way to live my life. This time it was as I was trying to figure out which one of these amazing brothers sang "January Wedding." I stumbled across the 'mission statement' from the "I and Love and You" box set, and the words stopped me in my tracks. Seth Avett has a talent for writing that I am envious of.

The words “I” and “Love” and “You” are the watermark of humanity. Strung together, they convey our deepest sense of humility, of power, of truth. It is our most common sentiment, even as the feeling of it is so infinitely uncommon; each to proclaim these three words with his or her very own heart and mindset of reason (or lack thereof); a proclamation completely and perfectly new each time it is offered. Uttered daily and nightly by millions, the words are said in an unending array of circumstances: whispered to the newborn in a new mother’s arms; shared between best friends on the playground; in the form of sympathy-said by a girl to a boy, as the respect continues but the relationship does not… The words are thought in the company of the photograph and said in the company of the gravestone. It is how we end our phone calls and our letters… the words at the bottom of the page that trump all those above it, a way to gracefully finish a message, however important or trivial, with the most meaningful gift of all: the communication of love.

Only Seth Avett could so eloquently write about one of the greatest, most complex emotions that we have in such a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment