Friday, July 17, 2009

Martian Child

The past two nights I have decided that I wanted to watch a movie before I go to bed. I don't have much time to watch movies, so I've been watching a few before I go to bed. Last night I decided to watch "Martian Child." This was probably the greatest movie I have seen in a while.

The movie is about the relationship and journey of a widower (played by John Cusack) and his adopted son (played by Bobby Coleman). David Gordon (Cusack) is a Sci-Fi writer who receives a phone call about adopting this little boy (Coleman). He quickly learns that Dennis (Coleman) thinks that he is from Mars. The whole movie David tries to teach Dennis how to be human. He tries to teach him how to fit in.

At one point in the movie, they are driving down the road, and David is trying to get Dennis to forget that he's from Mars. Here's whats said:
Dennis, can I just say one last thing about Mars? - which may be strange coming from a Science-Fiction writer - But right now, you and me here, put together entirely of atoms, sitting on this round rock with a core of liquid iron, held down by this force that seems to trouble you, called gravity, all the while spinning around the sun at 67,000 miles an hour and whizzing through the milky way at 600,000 miles an hour in a universe that very well may be chasing its own tail at the speed of light; And admist all this frantic activity, fully cognizant of our own eminent demise - which is our own pretty way of saying we all know we're gonna die - We reach out to one another. Sometimes for the sake of entity, sometimes for reasons you're not old enough to understand yet, but a lot of the time we just reach out and expect nothing in return. Isn't that strange? Isn't that weird? Isn't that weird enough? The heck do ya need to be from Mars for?


This quote to me could be asked of anyone. Change the last four words as to why you keep yourself from fitting in, from belonging to the world around you.

If you haven't seen it, I believe it is a must see.

No comments:

Post a Comment