Monday, July 27, 2009

Goode won't seek Republican nomination for 2010

The Danville Register and Bee and the Martinsville Bulletin both ran stories today about former Congressman Virgil Goode's decision to not run for the 5th district congressional seat that he lost last year to political newbie Tom Perriello. Part of me is saddened, because I was kind of looking forward to a rematch between Congressman Perriello and Goode.

Here is the emailed statement as run by the Register and Bee:
I sincerely appreciate the privilege accorded to me by the citizens of Virginia’s Fifth District to serve them in the U.S. House of Representatives from January 1997 to January 2009, and I am especially grateful to those who voted for and supported me in past elections.

I have decided not to seek the Republican nomination for Congress in 2010.

It is my hope and expectation that Republicans will nominate a conservative who will oppose the record deficits and debt of the current administration, will support secure borders and oppose amnesty for illegals, will recognize and reduce the huge threat that terrorists pose for our country, will support pro-life issues, and will support the traditional definition of marriage of one man and one woman.

I look forward to supporting and working for that candidate in 2010.


My hope is that the Republican party will give us a candidate that will not only be a good candidate, but a candidate that will be strong for the Republican party. I may not be a Republican, but I believe that one of the worst things for them to do will be to give us a candidate that will not be a strong candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment