Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King

This is probably one of my favorite Dave Matthews Band albums.

As I'm typing this, I'm watching Dave Matthews Band: The Road to Big Whiskey. Also as I am typing this, I am trying my hardest not to scream and dance and look like an idiot. There is something about the music of DMB that I can't really describe in words. The vibe that is given from every song is phenomenal. As I watch this documentary, I am falling even more in love with the music of DMB.

I will be honest, as much of an avid DMB fan I am, I have not had the chance to purchase and fully listen to the new album. I have only been in town for one week this summer, and have had limited internet access. I have heard over 75% of the album though.

Each song on this album, that I've heard, is truly phenomenal and unique. My top 3 songs would be "Funny The Way It Is," "Why I Am," and "You and Me." Each one has a different feel.

"Funny The Way It Is":
The thing I like the most about this song is the fact that it just talks about the irony of our everyday life. The lyrics are thought provoking and the melody bone chilling. By far my favorite song from "Big Whiskey" and probably one of my favorite DMB songs of all time.

"Why I Am":
For those that don't know the background of the song, late band member LeRoi Moore was constantly telling Matthews that they needed to do something with the song. Bass player Stefan Lessard also picked up on Moore's arguement and felt that the song would go far. After Moore's death, Matthews threw some lyrics down, took the song to Lessard, and it was decided that the song was to be put on the new album. This is Moore's song. Since it was written after Moore's death, it was easy to put Moore into the song. Not only is it amazing lyrics, there are amazing guitar riffs, and it is an amazing song for Moore.

"You and Me":
This song has a whole different feel. As at the end of the documentary Matthews and Carter Beauford are discussing how this song is a great note to end on. To paraphrase, the rest of the album is like a "dark train ride" and "You and Me" is the "light at the end of the tunnel." The acoustic guitar in this song is signature to Matthews amazing talent, and the lyrics are right where they should be.

There is a new revitalization on this album, that I feel is going to be around for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment